Mission of the Case School of Engineering
Case Western Reserve University’s Case School of Engineering is a dynamic scholarly community that plays a central role in our research-intensive University. The School’s educational and research mission is to:
- Provide students with a broad but technically intensive education that prepares them as future leaders in their professions and as enlightened citizen-leaders in an increasingly complex global society;
- Produce graduates who will be recognized for their commitment to excellence in engineering, their enthusiasm for learning, their ethical behavior and their professional integrity;
- Provide responsive and creative technical leadership for the collaborative pursuit and creation of new knowledge, inventions and enabling technologies;
- Actively contribute toward the creation of a better future for all people, through research innovation, stewardship, and the development of solutions to society’s most pressing challenges.
Case Western Reserve University’s Case School of Engineering will continue to provide leadership and excellence in the areas of engineering education, scholarly research and technology transfer. This vision will be achieved by fostering a challenging, enlightened, and collaborative academic environment that demands excellence, encourages innovation and supports ground-breaking discovery and invention. The Case School of Engineering will be recognized for creative scholarship, innovative teaching and a multi-disciplinary approach to fundamental and society-needs-driven research and problem solving.
The Case School of Engineering’s core values support its vision and mission to be committed to engineering education, research and problem solving through its commitment to:
- Promote critical thinking, impartial judgment and fair debate.
- Embrace Creativity as a hallmark of the School’s activities.
- Embrace change and innovation, and to be willing to take risks.
- Provide leadership with purpose and responsibility.
- Value ethical behavior, integrity and transparency in all aspects of school life.
- Embrace diversity and respect the dignity and culture of all people.
- Promote collaboration with mutual respect and support.
- Promote the technical and societal contributions of engineers.
- Facilitate the development, dissemination and application of engineering knowledge.
- Promote economic development for the well being of the society.
Case School of Engineering Diversity Statement
The Case School of Engineering strives to achieve and sustain inclusivity, diversity, equity and accessibility (IDEA) in our community and culture, for the purpose of cultivating excellence in education and research. We aim for sustained emphasis on IDEA to advance the representation and inclusion of all people who are institutionally, socio-economically, and culturally disadvantaged. The School believes that excellence in engineering education and research can be best attained by a diverse and inclusive community that welcomes all stakeholders including students, staff, faculty, as well as the broader community surrounding the campus.